Have you thought of having the best Android Auto Head Unit in your car? Driving will be easier and safer, as you get to keep your hands on the steering wheel and still use your phone. You can get all the information you need about lane guidance, traffic, and navigation assistance in real-time from goggle maps by connecting your android phone through cable.
If you don't have time, quick chec list best Android Auto Head Unit here:
- Pioneer Multimedia Double-Din In-Dash 6.2" WVGA Display DVD Receiver Apple CarPlay/Built-in Bluetooth/SiriusXM-Ready/AppRadio Mode/ Spotify & Pandora WITH FREE ALPHASONIK EARBUDS Editor's Choice
- Sony XAV-AX100 6.4″ Car Play/Android Auto Media Receiver
- Kenwood DDX9703S 2-DIN in-Dash DVD/CD/AM/FM Car Stereo w/ 6.95" Touch Screen with Built-in HD Radio, Apple Carplay and Android Auto
The interface is straightforward, and allows you to use your android phone to get helpful information without touching the device. You can make or receive a phone call, send text messages, control music, get directions and even check voicemail. You do all this by merely speaking as an Android Auto Head Unit has the best technology in voice recognition.
The unit links your touch screen vehicle stereo to your android phone. You use the android auto app which you download to your phone. Once you download this app, everything else is a breeze.
If your phone is not compatible with android auto, you will find that you will not be able to download app. The good thing is that even the cheapest android auto head unit willl still do an excellent job for all your infotainment jobs.Does reading the above make you want to have the best Android Auto Head Unit? Here below is our review of the 6 best of these units to aid you in your purchase decision
1. Pioneer Multimedia Double-Din In-Dash 6.2" WVGA Display DVD Receiver Apple CarPlay/Built-in Bluetooth/SiriusXM-Ready/AppRadio Mode/ Spotify & Pandora WITH FREE ALPHASONIK EARBUDS
This is a great in-dash video and DVD receiver from Pioneer. It’s a perfect receiver that is a must buy. It has excellent features that make it a favorite of many. It comes at a great price as well. It has one of the best android auto head unit. Here are some of the features of this stereo receiver.
- It has a built-in Bluetooth that comes with a mic and a long cable for hand-free calling and audio streaming.
- It has USB direct control which is used with iPhone and iPod.
- It has a back up camera unit.
- The DVD receiver is multimedia.
- It has a 6.2 inches WVGA touch panel display that has LED backlight.
- Details of the music you are playing in your car such as song, artist, album and time are displayed attractively on your touch screen.
- The system has a USB connection that is wired and provides direct digital transfer of signal for a crisp, clear sound. While doing this, it provides 1 amp of current to keep your device charged.
This system provides clear crisp sound that is a delight to listen to. Once you get this stereo receiver, you will be hooked. It also comes in the right size and price. Our recommendation is you go out there and get one of this for your car.
2. Sony XAV-AX100 6.4″ Car Play/Android Auto Media Receiver
This stereo receiver is both android auto and apple car play compatible. It allows you to get help from your smart phone while on the road without getting your hands of the steering wheel. It comes from Sony who is a reputable manufacturer. It has an amazing qualities that make it a must have. Here below are its key features.
- With apple car play and android auto, the stereo allows very reliable voice control
- It has ergonomic rotary dial for a distraction-free operation.
- With the dynamic stage organizer, you can create some virtual speakers on your dashboard
- It has a 6.4 inches touch screen with which you can control and view everything.
- It produces powerful sound with its 4 X 55 W dynamic reality amplifier. The music is clear and dynamic even when the volume is high.
- It is rear camera ready for a perfect view when reversing. If you have a rear camera installed, you can easily use it when packing. The video feed comes on when you tap the camera icon or you start reversing.
- It has a 10-band equalizer that allows you to customize your sound. It has three pre-outs that allow you to build your sound system. You can plug in your desired sub woofers and amplifiers to customize your sound as well.
- It has a fast resistive touch screen that does not have a glare.
The android auto head unit on this stereo functions superbly. This is just the receiver you will want to go for because of its versatility, and perfect touch screen. The receiver is just small enough to fit almost anywhere, which is great for most buyers. The sound which comes from a stock BOSE head unit is just perfect. Another plus of this receiver is having android auto in your vehicle for an affordable price. If you get this stereo for your car, you certainly will never look back.
3. Kenwood DDX9703S 2-DIN in-Dash DVD/CD/AM/FM Car Stereo w/ 6.95" Touch Screen with Built-in HD Radio, Apple Carplay and Android Auto
This car stereo is from Kenwood and is both Apple Car play and Android Auto compatible. It is a feature rich, high quality and reliable head unit with a user friendly interface. This particular stereo is cheaper than the previous DDX9703S but has better functionality on all the features. The Android Auto Head Unit on this stereo works great, and is a huge improvement on the one on a previous but similar model.
It has the Kenwood in-dash receiver for the DDX9703S model.
- Its touch screen display is 6.95 inches, VGA, color, and LCD. It is clear and resistive and has LED backlight.
- Its power output peak is 50 Watts X 4 channels. RMS is 17 Watts X 4 channels.
- It has a radio tuner with 18FM and 6AM presets. It has a built-in HD radio.
- It is capable of dual phone connections and has android rapid charge.
- It is Pandora and Spotify app ready and has Siri Voice control.
- It is both android auto and apple Car play compatible.
- It is made with built-in Bluetooth technology which allows audio streaming and hands-free talking. It works well with most Bluetooth enabled smart phones and has a maximum communication range of 32.8 feet.
- It has the latest playback and audio features. It has a 24-bit digital to analogue music converter for high-res playback.
- It is compatible with iOS 8 software and Apple 6 and 6+.
- It has a 13 band graphic equalizer and a rear USB unit that is detachable.
- It has front, rear, and subwoofer 4V preamp outputs.
- It can be expanded. It is possible to subscribe to SiriusXM satellite radio which is sold separately.
- It has front and rear view camera’s dedicated backup inputs.
- It also has rear video output.
- Its microphone is superb for calls while you are in the car.
- Sound is crisp and outstanding
This radio is just great if you are a stereo geek. It has plenty of options to tweak equalizer, crossover and others. It is highly upgradeable with SiriusXM, front camera, HDMI, and navigation system. GPS acquisition and boot up are remarkably quick. You cannot go wrong with this stereo receiver. Go get yourself this perfect radio for your car.
Buying Guide for Android Auto Head Unit
A head unit is the most important aspect of your car stereo. If you are not an iphone user then you will require an android auto head unit. A head unit is important because you use it to control all the features of your car stereo.
Our focus here is the android auto head unit. When shopping for one, consider the following two points.
You can shop by brand
- Some of the popular brands you can select to buy are such as Sony, JVC, Pioneer, and Kenwood. Pioneer has a range of head units ranging from basic ones to high end car stereos with a wide number of functionalities. With Pioneer, you can purchase one that has an in-built equalizer, a removable face which helps prevent theft of the unit, remote control and has good connection to your android device.
- Sony has variety in head units and affordability. Options that one considers when buying a Sony head include efficient browsers that allow you to jump to songs quickly, crystal clear sound, USB inputs, and easy remote control accessibility. Sony head units offer users plenty of functions.
- Kenwood produce high quality head units, and optimize the sound production of their products. With Kenwood, you can expect maximum power, built-in equalizers and bass boost on some models. Kenwood car stereos are known for their superior quality.
- JVC combine affordability and superior quality. Features of JVC stereo heads include Bluetooth and phone book transfer capabilities, controlling radio through phone, text notifications and ability to play CD-RWs and CDs. Their stereos come with detachable faces to prevent theft.
After you have decided on the manufacturer you want to buy from, you can then choose the functionality you want in your car stereo.
You can shop by function
You may decide to buy a car stereo head that can perform any of the following.
- Some stereo have CD Cassette player included. Most brands no longer include a cassette player but some vintage ones can be found that have this. Modern units mainly include CD players as well as radios.
- You may be interested in a head unit with the ability to play MP3. Portable MP3 players hold a lot of music. Some stereos come with ports to plug in MP3 players so that you can have the ability to play your music without bringing along a large number of CD players.
Some models offer ability to plug in SD cards filled with music or use smart phones. Varying inputs give you options to play your MP3s conveniently.
- Bluetooth functionality offers you hands free options to use your stereo. Voice enabled technology allows you to perform a number of functions while keeping your concentration on the road. You can take calls and dial numbers without even pressing a button. Head units have built-in Bluetooth microphones and a headset can be plugged in if the user so desires.
- Stereo head units can have a CD changer so that you can load more than one CD into the player and change the one playing at the press of a button. A head unit with this function makes playing CDs on the go easy and convenient.
- High end models of head units have large screens which offer the ability to play DVDs. If you are a media lover or you want to offer top notch entertainment on a long journey to youngsters, this is the functionality to go for in a head unit. Such heads often also have sound immersion, remote control, headphone jacks and the option to plug in more than one device at the same time for users who may want something different.
- A steering wheel remote does not come with a head unit but is a fun extra feature that can be purchased separately. It is installed directly on the steering wheel and allows the driver to perform a number of functions by pressing buttons. The driver can switch radio stations or songs, adjust equalizer, alter volume and perform other such functions.
If you consider the above two mentioned points, you will be able to purchase A double din head unit that is suitable for you. But do also consider the following points.
- Consider how you listen to music in your car so that you can be able to determine what features may or may not be important to you. If you have plenty of music or podcast files stored on your phone or tablet, the best android auto head unit for you will be one that supports playback and music browsing. As well, you can select music or just browse through the head unit.
- If your digital music is not in physical storage media but you prefer streaming services, such as Pandora, Spotify, rdio etc, then your head unit must support app control. These units hook into your phone and directly control streaming radio apps.
- USB Vs Bluetooth. Now available are head units that provide USB connections for non-apple devices. Unfortunately compatibility is not always perfect. Though your listening habits matter, Bluetooth may be the better choice. Where Bluetooth is the preferred option, you require an android auto head unit that supports the A2DP Bluetooth protocol.